Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A new creative passion, Beaded Beads!


I have made beaded peyote beads in the past, hallow cylinders for making toggles or decorative beads, but recently I have been creating beads that use a ladder stitch and a netting type stitch to create a hallow bead that feels like a solid bead. The bead color and shape I choose determine the design and style. I am working on giving them a more up-to-date feel, but I really like their vintage and even Art Nouveau look. The original directions for these beads comes from The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving by Carol Wilcox Wells. I bought the book at a great bead store in San Luis Obispo, Naturally Jennifers. They have a great selection of Japanese seed beads in unique colors and finishes. Naturally Jennifers sell their beads in little clear boxes with a flip top for easy pouring and storing. Their online catalogue is great!

So far I have only completed several pairs of earrings and strung a bracelet. The first beads I made in this technique have been waiting for almost a year to find their home in a necklace whose design is kicking around in the back corners of my mind.

There are so many different variations of beaded beads and I have challenged myself to try more techniques. Anacortes Beads and Crafts will be offering a class in April in which I'll share this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment