Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Seven Day Blogging Challenge


Nurturing a Creative Life: Naturally Inspired


I am challenging myself to Blog everyday for a full week.  Here is the framework.  Starting today, I will cover jewelry, specifically, jewelry I make.  Tomorrow will be Friend's Day. I will share the work of a friend (with their permission of course), Thursday will be Photography Day.  Photography continues to be my favorite hobby, and has been since elementary school.  On Friday, I will do something in the theme of Food f/or Thought; ideas, quotes, food ideas, photos, etc.  Saturday is Caturday, cat or animal photos, experiences etc.  Sunday is Commune with Nature day.  Monday will be miscellaneous!

Onward!

The first earrings from my introductory class.
In November 2010 I began my realized journey into the world of enameled jewelry.  The seed was planted in High School.  On an Associated Student Body field trip to a school in another community, I was matched up with a student who during the course of the day, took me to her art class.  The well lit room was a-buzz with with excited creative energy.  There were several small blue kilns on a table  and my student-guide introduced me to the process of cloisonné.  Tiny pieces of wire enclosed wet packed glass powder onto a small metal disk, which after drying completely, was then fired in the kiln.  It was magic!  An alchemical and beautiful process of transformation.  Ever since that day I had been wanting to get my hands on some metal and enamel powders and start fusing.


Earrings in a free form bead weaving technique

I was already knee deep in beaded jewelry and tried unsuccessfully to sell on Etsy in the crowded field of jewelry artists. I felt like I needed to offer something unique. I sought out a couple of metal working classes at Pouncing Rain Studio in Bellingham gave me the confidence to start working with copper and other metals.  I have played around with precious metal clay and was looking for ways to enhance my beadwork with pendants or earrings I made myself. A class came up at the Studio offering a very elementary introduction class to enameling, "Make three Pairs of Earrings."  I signed up and the rest is history.

A close up of one of my first pairs of earrings
For the most part I've been self-taught through book, Youtube videos and much experimentation. 


With a large unsold inventory of beaded necklaces, bracelets and earrings, I began to branch out and participate in Trunk type shows and became a vendor at the Anacortes Farmer's market where I have built up a loyal group of lovley customers and people who inspire and push me to try new things.  I have participated in the 98221 Studio Tour for two years as well as some home and holiday sales events.  I am excited to keep exploring new techniques and perhaps one day will actually try my hand at Cloisonné!

I have worked on developing a more impressionistic technique

Maple leaf Autumn side

Maple leaf Summer side


Thank you for reading my first post of this creative challenge!  Be Bold and Live Creatively!

No comments:

Post a Comment